Thursday 2 April 2015

UV Mapping

The UV Mapping process is easily one of the most time consuming of the 3D production pipeline. I started the process by applying a checker pattern material to the entire chest to check for areas that would have warped textures. I then selected the polygons on the surface, planar mapping them to ensure they were displayed on the right axis, and connecting the vertices to make them 100% the same size.

I would have to occasionally go and break the edges that were on a 90 degree angle to make the texture map display correctly. The hardest part of the process was making sure the squares on the checker pattern were all the same size, because if the squares weren't all the same size, it would result in textures being better or worse depending on whether the squares were bigger or smaller.

The lid required required the same process, but had more edges to break, and they were smaller to see. This part went much quicker than the lid, as I had the hang of what I needed to do at this stage. I then moved all of the polygons into the square and positioned them the right way so that I could move on to texturing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment